Saturday, April 14, 2007

A Memorable Moment






"Come here, Boo Boo."

"What is it? Do you want me to brush my teeth?"

"No. I just want you to come look in the mirror and see how good you look."

Through the bedroom door I could see my freshly showered and clean eight-year old walking toward me. His downcast eyes and slumped shoulders conveyed an end-of-the-week weariness and an obvious lack of enthusiasm for having to attend his older brother's upcoming event. He dutifully positioned himself in front of the full-length mirror and I watched as he quietly studied his reflection.

His eyes seemed to first consider the new pink striped button-up shirt that he was wearing -- an Easter gift from his grandmother and the first pink clothing item ever to be on his body. Next, he glanced at his familiar comfy jeans and favorite well-worn boots before finally shifting his attention to his golden-blonde hair combed casually to the side in a style popular among boys older than him. After several moments of careful scrutiny, the left corner of his mouth tweaked upward in a tiny smirk and his eyebrows raised in a look which implied both surprise and awe.

"See..." I said softly, "I told you that you looked good."

As his gaze met mine in the mirror, he gave me a faint nod of his head. Then, without a word, he turned and walked out the door and back down the hall. Gone was the downcast posture of just minutes before. Instead, with his head up and shoulders back, he moved with a slow swagger that spoke volumes...

Comments:
What a great story! I could just see it happening.

Here is a quote for you:

“A lot of hard work goes into making it look easy. The fact is: the act of weaving words together to look as if they drifted effortlessly onto the page is tough work, and certainly not for the faint of heart.”
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones